At the BYBI office, we are all about probiotic supplements, kombucha, kimchi and fermented foods. The gut feeling isn’t just about intuition anymore, it is also about your body's fundamental health. By now you’ve hopefully heard a lot about good gut ingredients to boost your intestinal microbiota and digestive system. Keywords like microbiome, superfood, probiotics and prebiotics are often used and it's not without reason. Recent studies suggest how important your gut health is for your overall health, including brain function and mood. Let’s dive deeper...
Good gut health is directly related to your stress levels and mental health. An even bigger reason why you should get that gut happy, so you won’t feel gutted during your week! We are convinced that if good gut ingredients can increase your mood and improve your mental health, there's no limit to what they can do for your skin.
Good for your gut, even better for your skin!
We're all for good gut nutrition - but we are even bigger on good gut ingredients in your skincare. But what are the actual effects of good gut foods when they are used in skincare? How can the same ingredients feed both your skin and your microbiota?
The list is long, but here are a few ingredients we’d recommend, not only for a jolly gut but also to feed your skin microbiome:
If you love energy-boosting caffeine, you’ll be glad to hear that matcha is a great alternative to coffee. You’ll get your daily dose of caffeine but with all the antioxidant benefits for both your skin and gut as well. What a treat!
- Benefits to the gut: Matcha is rich in the antioxidant catechin (EGCG), which is suggested to strengthen the immune system and prevent insulin resistance.
- Feeds your skin because: Matcha has anti-inflammatory properties and includes vitamins A, C and E; which give your skin an extra glow and improve texture due to matcha’s cell turnover properties.
- Where to find it: In our brand new C-Caf Cream! C-Caf Cream is BYBI’s first moisturiser and is going to be your day cream staple. It contains vitamin C and matcha to brighten up dull and lacklustre skin. Matcha provides antioxidants and helps to protect against damage from free radicals.
Here’s a little plot twist: Too much caffeine can have the opposite effect on your gut, to avoid feeling gutted, keep it to 2/3 cups a day.
We bet that you thought it couldn't get better. Guess what? Here's another one. Blueberries are not only delicious in salads, porridges and desserts, it is also a superfood rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
- Benefits to the gut: Blueberries are rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that are great for your overall health and immune defence. Research suggests that eating a diet rich in blueberries returns in a more unique gut microbiota profile. Interesting, right?
- Feeds your skin because: It is rich in antioxidants, which protect against blue light from the sun and your digital devices. It further protects against free radicals, which is vital if you live in a polluted city.
- Where to find it: In our Blueberry Booster. A powerful facial oil made from up-cycled blueberry seed oil sourced in the EU. Not just amazing for your skin but also a sustainable and vegan alternative to other pollution protecting products.
Hemp oil (not to be mistaken with CBD) is extracted from the seeds of the cannabis plant. Hemp oil can be used in both cooking and skincare. It is rich in omega-3 and omega-6.
- Benefits to the gut: Omega-3 and Omega-6 are great for improving heart health and feeding your body from the inside with good fatty acids. It is rich in antioxidants and minerals, which can help boost immunity.
- Feeds your skin because: It softens your skin without clogging your pores, Omega-6 contains gamma-linolenic acid which acts as a powerful anti-inflammatory ingredient and helps stimulate new cell generation.
- Find it: In our CBD Booster. Our CBD booster is not only containing hemp oil but is also containing 100 mg CBD. CBD is a great, natural calming ingredient, soothing flare-ups and reducing redness.
Have you spotted the connection yet?
Antioxidants and anti-inflammatory ingredients are great for your body AND your skin. Many of our ingredients are rich in antioxidants which protect against free radicals and anti-inflammatory ingredients keeps your immune system at bay and minimises redness. Keep an eye on colourful fruits and spices like turmeric, ashwaganda and cinnamon.
It’s all good - keep feeding your skin and your gut and your body will reward you.
P.S. SORRY! We would have loved to go in-depth on the microbiome and the trillions of bacteria hosted there. But hey, don't feel gutted! It is quite a complicated topic and there are experts for that. We recommend having a look at @thegutstuff