Voted Stylist magazine's "Inspirational blogger to follow in 2018", it's quite the understatement to say that Elle McNamara is a hit in the Instagram beauty scene. Championing the #nofilter look, she's the industry's new go-to girl for an honest, down-to-earth stance on beauty and skincare. We chat to her about her fave products of the moment, perfecting that enviable no-makeup look and skincare essentials.
In a world where more is more, what led you to take on a more natural approach to beauty?
It never really was a conscious thought! As I’ve gotten older I’ve just felt far more confident when wearing less makeup, taking care of my skin and hair. Like desert island beauty if that makes sense!
As a successful beauty influencer, you’ve had the pleasure of experiencing several cutting edge beauty treatments. What would be your advice for those wanting to seek professional help with their skin? And what’s been the best glow-getting treatment you’ve tried so far?
Well actually I think I had my most effective facial last week. It wasn’t a what you’d describe as a typical facial experience. I had the NYDG HydraGlow at the Harrods Wellness Clinic. It was almost like a beauty hospital, very quiet and clinical. The treatment consisted of extraction, an acid peel, lymphatic drainage, LED light therapy and a big hit of hyaluronic acid for hydration. I really noticed the difference immediately, and the next morning in particular. It was by no means relaxing, but my god – the results!
If you could pack just 5 summer beauty must-haves, what would they be?
- A rich cleansing balm is key for me (something like Emma Hardie’s Moringa) as it cleanses whilst leaving skin soft and supple.
- Sunless Tanner. I am naturally very pale so I rely on all sorts of instant and develop tans to make me look sunkissed! My favourite at the moment is Becca Cosmetics Luminous Body Perfecting Mousse.
- Glycolic acid. It leaves my skin so bright. At the moment I’m using the Dr Dennis Gross Pads (they’re in sachets so great for travel)
- SPF. When using acids you have to be sooo careful with your skin in the sun. I adore Glossier’s Invisible Shield SPF 35 as it melts into skin and leaves a really dewy finish.
- A good body scrub. The best kind leave your skin so soft that you almost forget to moisturise. I love the Sea Salt Scrub from Living Sea Therapies as it leaves my skin silky smooth.
What’s your top tip when creating a natural ‘no makeup makeup’ look?
No foundation. I use a variety of products to conceal blemishes, colour correct and even skin tone with using any heavy product such as foundation. That really is the trick. I love to be able to see my raw skin, pores and all!
For those that have seen your gorgeous face on our social accounts, they may now know you as the new face of Babe Balm! What your favourite use for our hero product?
Bit of an unconventional one, but I love to use it on my lower legs! I get quite dry skin (particularly after tanning!) and even after body moisturising I feel like my lower legs needs extra TLC - Babe Balm is amazing for that! It also leaves my limbs super gleamy!